Second Trimester - Week 14
Your Baby is now the size of Lemon
Your baby is about 3.4 inches and 1.5 ounces this week, almost doubling in weight from last week and is only going to continue to grow!
- Your baby is growing lanugo, ultra fine hair, all over his/her body. This is largely for warmth. Don’t be alarmed though, you won’t be delivery a little hairy monster! This lanugo will shed as fat accumulates later on in pregnancy.
- Some of the baby’s muscles are starting to work now too. Your baby can grasp, squint, frown and even suck his/her thumb!
As you emerge from the first trimester of your pregnancy, you are probably feeling more energetic and are thankfully leaving those early symptoms behind you! If you are unlucky enough to still have nausea or are finding it hard to keep food down contact your doctor or midwife for advice.
- You are probably feeling some aches and pains this week, what your Doctor would call round ligament pain. This is a side effect of uterine growth. Basically these are growing pains that feel like achy pains on one or both sides of your abdomen.
- You might notice your hair is becoming thicker and shinier. This is one of the nicer side effects of pregnancy so enjoy!!
- Hunger - now that the nausea has subsided you might find your appetite on overdrive. We recommend you try to eat healthy meals and snacks regularly rather than binging on junk food as it will keep your blood and energy levels stable.
Many testify that the second 3 months of pregnancy are the easiest. Sleep is sounder and your bump isn’t too big to be getting in your way. Try and use this time well, make the most of your new found energy. Enjoy activities likes swimming, walking and low impact aerobics. Many people take up Pregnancy Yoga at this stage, it is a good way to stay active and prepare you for breathing during labour.